The association “Latvian Red Cross” has implemented project No. IF/2013/1.a./12 “Open to the World, Open to Diversity”, supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia, European Fund for the Integration of third-country nationals, programme of 2013, Activity 1 “a” “Language and Adaptation Programme Development for Integration of Third-Country Citizens and Establishment of United Society”.
Project implementation period: 5 December 2014 – 30 June 2015
Objective: to improve the existing and to develop new support, adaptation and integration opportunities (services) available to third-country nationals in Latvia.
Project implementation places: Riga, Riga region, Ventspils, Daugavpils, Liepāja, Saldus.
Project target group: non-citizens and third-country nationals – citizens of non-EU countries, European Economic Zone or Swiss Confederation.
Key activities of the project:
Latvian language, history and culture training;
Educating excursions for the families of third-country nationals with Latvian families;
Support group for young parents, opportunity to obtain information about basic topics related to raising, looking after and caring for children, as well as with Latvian mothers in creative workshops and create things useful for them and babies;
Establishing subsidised work places and preparation for independent work in Latvia. Within the framework of the activity, 20 third-country nationals will be able to obtain 3 months’ work experience in the structural units of the Latvian Red Cross across Latvia;
Mentor programme: the task of mentors was to facilitate successful integration of third-country nationals, involving them in public processes, familiarising with the Latvian culture and traditions, and providing them daily and economic support;
Informative events to prepare third-country nationals for naturalisation process;
Updating and improving educational materials about health and social system matters in Latvia, education system in Latvia, labour law matters in Latvia, non-governmental organisations in Latvia, volunteer work and opportunity to get involved in it in Latvia, as well as providing the materials to third-country nationals in their home countries;
Improvement and translation of the LatRC websites redcross.lv and www.lskj.lv.
- In language and culture courses, 160 third-country nationals and non-citizens have been trained and involved;
- 6 informative events were organised to prepare third-country nationals for naturalisation process and 160 people participated in them;
- Educational materials about health and social system matters in Latvia, education system in Latvia, labour law matters in Latvia, non-governmental organisations in Latvia, volunteer
- work and opportunity to get involved in it in Latvia published before were improved and updated, as well as the materials were provided to third-country nationals in their home countries.
Brochures were developed in two languages, Russian and English, thereby providing an opportunity to obtain basic information about topical everyday matters to as large target audience as possible. Informative brochures are available for downloading here:
- Support group was established to young and next parents;
- 6 excursions were organised where the third-country nationals, non-citizens and Latvian citizens participated;
- Subsidised workplace programme was established and implemented;
- Mentor programme was established and implemented.
This publication was created with the support of the European Fund for the Integration of third-country nationals. The association “Latvian Red Cross” is responsible for the content of the publication.
Please get to know more about the project implementation in the following video: